Andrew Oldham is nominated for a lifetime judgeship on an important federal appeals court. This court is only one step below the U.S. Supreme Court. As counsel to the Governor of Texas, Oldham has a long record of working for very conservative laws and causes. Oldham has
- Supported voter suppression and advocated for Texas’ voter ID law, which might be the most repressive voter ID law in the country. Opponents say it intentionally discriminates against Latinos and African-Americans.
- Fought against common sense gun safety. Oldham belongs to the NRA.
- Sought to limit a woman’s right to choose.
- Allied with Scott Pruitt to stop efforts against climate change–even before Pruitt went to the EPA.
- Fought against fair housing protections for racial minorities.
- Worked to limit the DACA program.
- Shown extreme hostility to government regulations, even regulations protecting consumers, workers, or public health.
Because of his partisan career, Oldham is unfit to be a judge. Please call your Senators to vote against Andrew Oldham’s nomination to this important federal appeals court.
Hi, my name is [name] and I’m a constituent from [zip code]. I’m calling to ask the Senator to vote NO on the nomination of Andrew Oldham to be a judge on the federal appeals court. I’m deeply concerned that Oldham has worked against voting rights, a woman’s right to choose, common sense gun safety, and efforts to stop climate change. At the same time, he has opposed protections for minorities from housing discrimination and the DACA program. I’m worried that he cannot be an impartial or fair judge with this background. Please vote against Oldham’s nomination for this lifetime judgeship.
To find your senators, see https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members.
Additional Talking Points for Office Visits or E-mails here.
Return to Federal Judiciary