Brett Kavanaugh, Trump’s nominee for the Supreme Court, has a record against women’s reproductive rights, environmental protection, consumer protection, workers’ rights and common sense gun safety. Most troubling of all, Kavanaugh has said that a sitting President should be exempt from criminal prosecution and investigation, including questioning by prosecutors and defense counsel. No wonder Trump likes him!
- Kavanaugh tried to block a 17-yr-old detainee’s constitutional right to abortion. His decision was overturned on appeal.
- He opposed a ban on semiautomatic rifles in the District of Columbia.
- He consistently sides with big corporations against workers’ rights and workplace safety.
- Kavanaugh’s hostile to environmental protection and has hampered efforts against climate change.
- He opposes the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, a watchdog agency to prevent mortgage meltdowns like 2007.
Kavanaugh supports an unprecedented level of power and immunity for the President.
- Kavanaugh said that the President does not have to enforce a law if he believes the law is unconstitutional. In our system, only the courts decide if a law is unconstitutional–not the President.
- He said that a sitting President should be exempt from criminal prosecution and investigation, including questioning by prosecutors or defense counsel. This means a President would not even have to answer questions about possible crimes while he is in office.
For all these reasons, Kavanaugh is unsuitable for an appointment to the Supreme Court and he should be rejected.
Please ask your members to call your U.S. Senators to vote NO on Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court.
Hi, my name is [name] and I’m a constituent from [zip code]. I’m calling to ask the Senator to vote No on the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court. I’m worried by his opposition to a woman’s right to choose, environmental and consumer protection, workers’ rights and common sense gun safety. His willingness to shield the president from prosecution and investigation is frightening. Kavanaugh’s nomination should be rejected.
To find your senators, go to https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members.
NEW Postcard Scripts for sending postcards to your U.S. Senators here.
Talking Points Memo for Office Visits or E-mails here.
Call To Action on Kavanaugh and Mueller Investigation here.
Call To Action on Kavanaugh and his views of unlimited presidential power here.
August 26 – Unite for Justice Meetup slides here.
Report on Brett Kavanaugh, Vetting Room
“How Brett Kavanaugh Will Gut Roe v. Wade,” Slate
“Where Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh stands on key issues,” CNN
Letter against nomination by Yale Law School students and alumni, Newsweek
“Brett Kavanaugh’s Journey to Becoming a Supreme Court Nominee,” New Yorker
Return to Federal Judiciary