Talking points for office visit with senators’ staff
We are asking Senator [name] to vote against the nomination of Stuart Kyle Duncan for a judgeship on the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. Duncan has worked aggressively as an advocate for extreme right-wing views. He is on record against reproductive rights for women, against civil rights for LGBT, and against protections for immigrants. At the same time he has defended discriminatory voting laws against minorities.
- Duncan has fought contraceptive coverage for women. He has fought against employees’ contraceptives coverage under ObamaCare if contraceptives offend the employers’ religious beliefs. He opposed a law that required pharmacies to stock some forms of birth control.
- Duncan has supported restrictions on abortion that the U.S. Supreme Court later overturned as an undue burden on the rights of women.
- Duncan has actively attacked LGBT equality. He has opposed same-sex marriage and the adoption of children by same-sex couples.
- Duncan has fought to uphold discriminatory voting laws against minorities.
- Duncan has taken a hard line against immigration rights. He opposed the naturalization of undocumented immigrants under the Deferred Action for Parents of Americans and Lawful Permanent Residents (DAPA) program, and fed negative stereotypes by saying DAPA would threaten public safety by allowing violent criminals into the program.
To top off this very partisan record, Duncan has indicated that he will not respect court precedent if he disagrees with the outcome of a case. He has openly disparaged the U.S. Supreme Court for its decision allowing same-sex marriage. He has said publicly that he is “very friendly philosophically to making arguments” not to follow precedent in cases. These attitudes are the opposite of what is needed in an impartial and fair judge.
We believe that Duncan is unsuited by temperament to be a judge, as shown by his career record and his public statements. We fear that he will show bias in the outcomes for certain cases, and he has potential to be opportunistic in overturning laws and cases with which he personally disagrees. We strongly oppose Duncan’s nomination for a federal judgeship, and we ask Senator [name] to vote against this nomination.
Return to Federal Judiciary