Michael Brennan has been nominated for a lifetime appointment as judge for an important and influential federal appeals court (7th Circuit Court of Appeals). This court is only one step below the U.S. Supreme Court and decides precedent for other federal courts.
- In a break with tradition, Brennan’s nomination lacks the approval of his home-state senator and his state’s judicial nominating commission. Trump and the Republican leadership are trampling this bipartisan process. For this reason alone Senators should vote against Brennan’s nomination.
- At his Senate hearing, Brennan refused to say implied racial bias exists in the criminal justice system, even though statistics and expert analysis have shown this bias exists.
- Brennan has questioned whether women really face a “glass ceiling” in employment discrimination.
- Brennan has said that a judge does not have to follow legal precedent if he disagrees with it, including cases on civil rights.
- In his state, Brennan helped appoint ultraconservative and inhumane judges who called LGBTQ persons “degenerates”; said that gay people who died of AIDS deserved no sympathy; mocked the rights of women; and compared affirmative action to slavery.
Please call your Senators and say:
Hi, my name is [name] and I’m a constituent from [zip code]. I’m calling to ask the Senator to vote NO on the nomination of Michael Brennan for a lifetime judgeship on the federal appeals court. In a break with a bipartisan tradition, Brennan does not have the approval of his senator, Sen Tammy Baldwin, nor his state’s nominating commission. We should try to keep bipartisanship between Republicans and Democrats whenever possible. Brennan has also shown insensitivity and opposition towards women’s employment rights, LGBTQ equality, and other civil rights. Please vote against Brennan for this judgeship.
Additional talking points for office visits here.
To find your senators, see https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members.
- “Grassley Moves on Judicial Nominee Over Baldwin’s Objections,” Roll Call
- “Trump Nominee Shows Astonishing Ignorance of Racial Bias,” People For the American Way
- Alliance For Justice–Report on Brennan
- “Oppose the Confirmation of Michael Brennan,” The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights
- The Vetting Room–Report on Brennan