Calls To Action
Call your Senators to vote against Chad Readler. As Trump’s point man in court, Readler has attacked the Affordable Care Act, including protection for people with preexisting conditions, and he’s defended Trump’s policy of separating migrant children from their parents at the border. Readler’s own Senator, Sherrod Brown (D-OH), opposes his nomination for a lifetime federal appeals court judgeship, one step below the Supreme Court. Readler should never be a judge.
Call your Senators to vote against Eric Murphy. As State Solicitor of Ohio, Murphy has worked to defund Planned Parenthood because of its abortion services, even though the funds covered cancer prevention and sexual violence prevention. He has supported a voter suppression law and fought environmental laws, including control of emissions causing climate change. Murphy’s Senator, Sherrod Brown (D-OH), opposes his nomination for a lifetime federal appeals court judgeship.
Call your Senators to vote against Allison Jones Rushing. A religious right extremist nominated to the federal appeals court, Rushing has worked for an advocacy group that supports criminalization of abortion, recriminalization of homosexuality, and discrimination against the LGBTQ community based on religious beliefs. This group also advocates for organized Christian prayer–specifically Christian prayer–in government and public school settings. Rushing is on the record as favoring heterosexual-only marriage laws.
Call your Senators to vote against Stephen Clark for a lifetime judgeship in federal district court. Clark is a religious right advocate against a woman’s right to choose, contraceptives, and same-sex marriage. As an attorney Clark counseled right-to-life groups on how to obstruct abortion providers. He once wrote a legal brief that said using contraceptives leads to “increased risk-taking and sexual behavior,” an unproven theory that has been debunked.
To find out the names of your U.S. Senators and their phone numbers, you can call the Capitol switchboard: (202) 224-3121.
Video Against Stephen Clark’s Nomination
Our wonderful graphic artist surprised us with a video against Stephen Clark’s judicial nomination. She’s experimenting with a video app, and we are the beneficiaries.
Please feel free to link the video to your Facebook, Twitter, or webpages. Here.
- Nominations hearing in Senate Judiciary Committee. Check the schedule and watch the video of the most recent hearing here. Nominees are questioned by the Senators on their records and qualifications. Please read The Bum’s Rush For Our Courts to learn what a travesty these hearings have become under Republican leadership.
- Vote by Senate Judiciary Committee (Executive Business Meeting). Check the schedule and watch the video of the most recent meeting here. Nominees are voted out of Committee and go to the Senate floor for a final vote by full Senate.
- Executive Calendar of the Senate. First, the Senate invokes cloture on a nomination. Then within days, there will be a final vote to confirm the nominee.
- Daily Digest of Congressional Record. The latest actions on some nominations will be recorded, although they will be mixed in with other Congressional business.
- We follow the Senate Floor Monitor on Twitter for a blow-by-blow account of what’s happening on the Senate floor.
- Return to Federal Judiciary