Special Call To Action–Trump’s Kavanaugh Card
We’re worried about how nominee Brett Kavanaugh might affect the Mueller investigation. If placed on the Supreme Court, will Kavanaugh be Trump’s game card to “Get Out of Jail Free”?
Kavanaugh has said that a sitting President should not be prosecuted for crimes. Not even investigated–which means the President doesn’t have to answer questions about possible crimes. How convenient for Trump.
We have a special Call To Action script about Kavanaugh and the Mueller investigation here. Please call your Senators to vote against Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court.
More Calls To Action
- Call your Senators to vote against Brett Kavanaugh, Trump’s nominee for the U.S. Supreme Court. Kavanaugh has a record against women’s reproductive rights, environmental protection, consumer protection, workers’ rights and common sense gun safety. Most troubling of all, he has said that a sitting President should be exempt from criminal prosecution and investigation, including questioning by prosecutors and defense counsel. No wonder Trump likes him! Ask your Senators to vote against this nominee who would gut Roe v. Wade and give someone like Trump even greater executive power.
- Call your Senators to vote against David Porter for a lifetime judgeship to the federal appeals court, one step below the U.S. Supreme Court. Porter is an extreme right winger who would have been happy to live 100 years ago. As an attorney he has worked against the Affordable Care Act, women’s rights, same sex marriage, environmental protection, and workers’ rights. He has criticized Supreme Court cases that supported FDR’s New Deal (yes, in 1933), and belongs to a conservative think tank that says the minimum wage is unconstitutional. Porter should never be a judge.
- Call your Senators to vote against Eric Murphy for a lifetime judgeship to the federal appeals court, one step below the U.S. Supreme Court. Murphy has a record against voting rights, women’s reproductive rights, and marriage equality. His own Senator, Sherrod Brown (D-OH), has already said he will vote against Murphy.
- Call your Senators to vote against Ryan Nelson for a lifetime judgeship to the federal appeals court, the liberal-leaning 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, which has been a bulwark against Trump’s policies. Nelson has a questionable record of supporting expansive presidential powers, a troublesome position to take under the current President. Nelson also sided with the fossil fuel industry against environmental groups when he was an attorney with the Bush-Cheney administration.
To find out the names of your U.S. Senators and their phone numbers, you can call the Capitol switchboard: (202) 224-3121.
Follow the Money…Dark Money
Our friends at Indivisible Iowa tell us that a tour bus of outsiders showed up at Senator Grassley’s town hall meeting on August 9. They had merch and food vouchers. Locals saw cars with out-of-state plates in the parking lot, too. Getta load of that bus. This is what Koch money, dark money, buys for Republicans.
Have you seen outsiders bussed into other political events like this? Please take photos and email us about it. We want to keep records and also tell Maplight, a nonprofit that follows the dark money in politics.
Lobbying Your Senators Made Easy
Herd on the Hill has developed a super-easy online tool to tell your Senators to vote against Trump’s unfit court nominees. It’s all there: Call To Action scripts, background info, and a messaging tool that looks up your Senators for you. You only have to write the message. Herd on the Hill uses our scripts and keeps them up-to-date. Tell your Senators to vote against Trump’s unacceptable nominees here.
- Nominations hearing in Senate Judiciary Committee. Check the schedule and watch the video of the most recent hearing here. Nominees are questioned by the Senators on their records and qualifications. Please read The Bum’s Rush For Our Courts to learn what a travesty these hearings have become under Republican leadership.
- Vote by Senate Judiciary Committee (Executive Business Meeting). Check the schedule and watch the video of the most recent meeting here. Nominees are voted out of Committee and go to the Senate floor for a final vote by full Senate.
- Executive Calendar of the Senate. First, the Senate invokes cloture on a nomination. Then within days, there will be a final vote to confirm the nominee.
- Daily Digest of Congressional Record. The latest actions on some nominations will be recorded, although they will be mixed in with other Congressional business.
- We follow the Senate Floor Monitor on Twitter for a blow-by-blow account of what’s happening on the Senate floor.
- Return to Federal Judiciary