Deadlines: April 15, 2018 (or whenever your tax return is usually due)

Description: Individuals may deduct personal property losses that are not covered by insurance or other reimbursements.

Eligibility: For property owners. Must reside or have a business in Butte, Lake, Mendocino, Napa, Nevada, Sonoma, or Yuba County.

How to apply: Attach Form 4684 to your tax return: Instructions.

Phone: 866-562-5227

Forms: Form 4684

Personal Info: Address of damaged residence, description of damage, insurance info, current phone number, address to receive mail (links to ways to retrieve this info)

Notes: Can be applied to tax return for either the year in which the event occurred, or the prior year (2016). Claiming the loss on an original or amended return for the preceding year may mean an earlier refund. But, waiting to claim the loss on this year’s return could result in a greater tax saving. If your property is covered by insurance, you must file a timely insurance claim for reimbursement of your loss.

More Info:


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.