Deadlines: April 15, 2018 (or whenever your tax return is usually due)

Description: Individuals may deduct personal property losses that are not covered by insurance or other reimbursements.

Eligibility: Taxpayers may claim a deduction for a disaster loss sustained in an area proclaimed by the Governor to be in a state of emergency.

How to apply: Calculate your disaster loss by reporting California amounts on federal Form 4684, Casualties and Thefts, Section A – Personal Use Property, and submitting this form with your California tax return. You will also need to attach a statement providing the date and location of the disaster (city, county, and state).

Phone:  800-852-5711

Forms: Form 4684

Personal Info: Address of damaged residence, description of damage, insurance info, current phone number, address to receive mail (links to ways to retrieve this info)

Notes: Can be applied to tax return for either the year in which the event occurred, or the prior year (2016).

More Info:

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.