Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to scroll down to see what you can do today.
Also, check out these things you can do:
- Regulation changes: What you don’t know can hurt you (and everyone else). Here’s what you can do.
- IEB regularly visits our Members of Congress. Join us: it really can make a difference.
Check out our Newsletter Archive for past actions and info.
Week of January 4th, 2020
EMERGENCY ACTION: Tell Congress: Remove Trump, NOW
Trump has tried to overturn the election and his enabling toadies in Congresstried to stop the electoral vote certification. He incited his supporters to storm the Capitol, a woman died, and his message was “We love you. You’re very special. I know how you feel.” Trump is a threat to democracy and justice in America and it’s time to stop the madness NOW.
Rep. Ilhan Omar is drawing up articles to impeach Trump, and Rep. Ted Lieu called for Pence to start the 25th Amendment process to remove him from office immediately. It’s only days to the Inauguration, but we don’t have days to spare. We must remove Trump from office now and disqualify him from ever holding federal office again – and also hold those who have enabled him to account.
What to do:
Call your Members of Congress. Tell them: Use every power you have to remove Trump from office, NOW. Congress also must ensure nothing like this ever happens again.
What to say:
My name is _____, my zip code is _____, and I’m a member of Indivisible East Bay. I want _____ to support the efforts of Rep. Ilhan Omar and Rep. Ted Lieu to remove Donald Trump from office right away, before he incites more violence or does further damage. I also want them to censure GOP members of Congress who’ve falsely cast doubt on the election results and tried to stop the results from being certified. This includes Mitch McConnell, who supported Trump’s efforts up to the last minute and set the stage for the GOP to try to overthrow democracy.
- Rep. Mark DeSaulnier (email): (510) 620-1000 DC: (202) 225-2095
- Rep. Barbara Lee (email): (510) 763-0370 DC: (202) 225-2661
- Rep. Eric Swalwell (email): (510) 370-3322 DC: (202) 225-5065
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein: (email); (415) 393-0707 • DC: (202) 224-3841
- Sen. Kamala Harris: (email); (415) 981-9369 • DC: (202) 224-3553
Post a video: Thanks to Indivisible National, you can record a video heredemanding your representative support the impeachment, conviction and disqualification of Donald Trump.
For more info, see our complete article.
Action #2: Call Your State Reps!
Deadline: NOW THROUGH JAN. 31 – The California Legislature’s in session and this month they’ll finalize the list of bills they’ll consider. Contact your representatives, tell them your name, your zip code, that you’re a member of Indivisible East Bay, and that you care about these things:
- Renter Protection: A current statewide eviction moratorium protects tenants from being evicted for COVID-related financial distress, but that ends January 31, 2021. Ask your legislators to approve AB 15, the Tenant Stabilization Act of 2021, which would expand tenant protections until January 2022. Also: tenants statewide are being evicted during the pandemic for reasons unrelated to paying rent, such as owners taking properties off the rental market. It’s unfair AND unsafe to force people, especially elderly or disabled tenants, from their homes in the middle of a public health crisis. Ask your legislators to temporarily halt all “no-fault” evictions until 90 days after the statewide public health order is lifted.
- Sheriff Election Reform: Indivisible East Bay has written about serious problems with the Alameda & Contra Costa Sheriffs’ offices, including immigration abuses, police militarization, and jail expansion. One proposal to address the injustices: do away with the requirement that candidates for Sheriff have law enforcement experience. We also support holding sheriff elections during major election years – they now are at the discretion of the county, often taking place at the midterm primary, when there’s notoriously low turnout.
- Social Safety Net: We in California must take better care of our struggling residents. This year we should push for broad legislation for social programs such as child allowance or other cash assistance, and single payer healthcare.
- Buffy Wicks: email; 510-286-1400
- Rob Bonta: email; 510-286-1670
- Rebecca Bauer-Kahan: email; 916-319-2016
- Bill Quirk: email; 510-583-8818
- Timothy Grayson: email; 925-521-1511
- Steve Glazer, District 7 (Contra Costa): email; (916) 651-4007
- Nancy Skinner, District 9 (Alameda & Contra Costa): email; (916) 651-4009
- Bob Wieckowski, District 10 (Alameda & Santa Clara): email; (916) 651-4010
Find your CA legislators & contact info here: http://findyourrep.
These items still need our attention! A record of all weekly actions are on the Archived Actions page.
Action Still Needed – Past Weeks
Action: Hello new IEB activists!
Deadline: today and every day – Is this your first IEB newsletter? Or have you known us for a while, but you have friends who aren’t involved but may like to be? This action item is for YOU! Check out our top quick-action resources for activists new to IEB (and reminders if you’re an old friend!):
- Find action items from our most recent newsletters — plus contact info for members of Congress — on our website’s Call & Email page. Our newsletters are archived here and here.
- Find our latest blog posts on our website home page. Most of these articles include action items, with call scripts and contact info. Looking for an article or action on a specific topic? Enter a keyword into the search box (upper right of each web page).
- Interested in the federal courts? Our Federal Judiciary team’s work is used by national resistance organizations.
- Find out what else is going on! Our newsletter has an events calendar, and so does our website.