In response to Donald Trump’s March 2018 visit to California, Indivisible East Bay and numerous other groups signed the following statement released by the ICE Out of California Coalition. The coalition has fought back against the federal government’s cruel deportation machine and helped to pass measures limiting local involvement in deportations, like California’s SB 54 and stronger local policies.
We unequivocally reject the vulgar racism, bullying, and abuses of power which have become the hallmarks of this administration. The President’s hateful agenda has no place in a state where we believe that every human being should be treated fairly, regardless of birthplace or background.
We need policies that uphold our values of compassion and equality, not mass deportations that drag parent from child, arrests that criminalize and demonize immigrants, or a border wall as harmful as it is irresponsible.
We are united in a our vision of a better world, where we build bridges instead of walls. Let us recognize the humanity of all who live here and protect due process for everyone, including immigrants.
We’re fortunate in the East Bay that many of our elected officials explicitly support this kind of policy; for example, only days before IEB signed onto this statement, Rep. Mark DeSaulnier urged Contra Costa County to end ICE detentions. Please urge your elected officials to stand strong in support of immigrants and to resist the current administration’s disgraceful agenda.
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein: (email); (415) 393-0707 • DC: (202) 224-3841
- Sen. Kamala Harris: (email); (415) 355-9041 • DC: (202) 224-3553
- Rep. Mark DeSaulnier: (email); (510) 620-1000 DC: (202) 225-2095
- Rep. Barbara Lee: (email); (510) 763-0370 DC: (202) 225-2661
- Rep. Eric Swalwell: (email); (510) 370-3322 DC: (202) 225-5065
- State legislature: http://findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov/
- Governor Edmund G. Brown: (email); (916) 445-2841; c/o State Capitol, Suite 1173, Sacramento, CA 95814
Read our article about recent developments concerning immigrant detainees at the West County Detention Facility.
Graphic copyright ICE Out of California