By Larry Baskett
On a typical cold, breezy June 1, Indivisible East Bay members were among the six hundred volunteers who formed a gigantic “IMPEACH” sign on San Francisco’s Ocean Beach. Indivisible San Francisco hosted the event, and participants came from every congressional district in the Bay Area (with a few from the Central Valley!). Many participants were from their own local Indivisible groups, and the effort was supported by many organizations including Indivisible National, Indivisible South Bay, Alameda4Impeachment (A4I), CREDO Action, MoveOn, SOS America, Need to Impeach, and By the People.
The event coincided with this year’s California Democratic Party convention (CADem) and with MoveOn’s “Big Ideas Forum” for presidential candidates across town; the organizers also had a plane flying a banner saying “SPKR PELOSI: IMPEACHMENT INQUIRY NOW” over downtown San Francisco!
In addition to looking great on the beach, we handed out congressional district-specific “call cards” with contact info for our Members of Congress, and with our request for the MoCs to cosponsor H.Res. 257 and open impeachment hearings. Read on to find out how you can do this and take other actions supporting an impeachment inquiry!
What you can do:
- Since the Beach Impeach event, tweets with the aerial photograph and video taken from the helicopter we had flying over the beach have been seen hundreds of thousands of times. Please add to the fun by sharing!
- Join the discussion on the #impeachment channel on IEB’s Slack. For an invitation to join Slack, email info@IndivisibleEB.org. And want to work with Alameda4Impeachment? Email for more info: Alameda4Impeachment@gmail.com
- Read more about impeachment at this article written jointly by Indivisible East Bay and A4I.
- Check out our recent articles for more info and actions you can take NOW:
- On May 1, we asked you to tell your Members of Congress to use every possible tool to investigate the administration’s criminality and abuses of power
- On May 9, we asked you to read the Mueller Report
- On May 22, we asked you to urge the House to begin an impeachment inquiry
- On May 30, we asked you to mashup these intertwined actions, and to urge your Representative to continue to investigate and to initiate an impeachment inquiry.
Larry Baskett is a mechanical engineer from Berkeley who spent a year on staff at the California State Senate and who previously volunteered with Wolf PAC, the campaign finance reform organization.
“Beach Impeach June 1 2019”, photo by Stefan Ruenzel