By Ann G. Daniels
Deadline: NOW – Day Eleventy-nine, bailout double overtime, and Congress still hasn’t gotten it right. (Yes, we blame Shake Shack & Ruth’s Chris getting small biz $$ on Congress – ever hear of oversight?) Indivisible National’s website has a “People’s Bailout for Coronavirus” campaign with lots of info and simple ways to record & send videos to your Members of Congress saying:
- we need a bailout that supports people before profits!
- the relief package needs to include a workers’ bill of rights with protections, compensation, and safety nets for all essential workers.
- COVID relief needs to include election protection. (Also see our recent article)
- We need our MoCs on record that Trump’s favoring red states for relief is disgusting and unacceptable.
Camera-shy? No problem, an old-fashioned call or email is also great!
What to say:
My name is ___, my zip code is ___, and I’m a member of Indivisible East Bay. The COVID assistance bills that Congress has passed so far haven’t done nearly enough to help workers, communities, or small businesses, haven’t protected our elections or safeguarded workers’ rights, and have been manipulated to favor states that Trump likes and punish those that he doesn’t. Congress needs to do better. I’m counting on you to fight for a bailout that puts people before politics and profits.
Want to say more? We like these points from Indivisible National:
- Protect our democratic processes while protecting each other
- Make health the top priority for all people
- Provide economic relief directly to the people
- Rescue workers and communities, not corporate executives
- Make a down payment on a regenerative economy, while preventing future crises
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein: (email); (415) 393-0707 • DC: (202) 224-3841
- Sen. Kamala Harris: (email); (415) 981-9369 • DC: (202) 224-3553
- Rep. Mark DeSaulnier (email): (510) 620-1000 DC: (202) 225-2095
- Rep. Barbara Lee (email): (510) 763-0370 DC: (202) 225-2661
- Rep. Eric Swalwell (email): (510) 370-3322 DC: (202) 225-5065
Not in California? Use the script above and find your Members of Congress contact info here:
Ann G. Daniels’ checkered professional background includes practicing law, reproductive rights advocacy, creating web content for nonprofits and educational organizations, and teaching adult and family literacy. She also designs jewelry, teaches knitting, and sings second soprano.