It’s been a month since we began talking about reports that Trump was considering firing Special Counsel Robert Mueller. As Mueller’s investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election continues, speculation is that he’s lasering in on Trump and his cronies’ ties to and collusion with Russia, and that the current occupant of the White House will try to kill the investigation before it gets too close …
After Trump’s former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn pled guilty to lying to the FBI about conversations with Russians, attacks against the FBI, former FBI director James Comey, and Robert Mueller have sharply escalated. In seemingly coordinated attacks over the past few days, Trump, Republican mouthpieces, and Fox (fake) News have all been trying to discredit Mueller and shut down the investigation.
As Indivisible National plainly states (and oh yes, they hit caps lock on purpose): “FIRING COMEY CREATED A CONSTITUTIONAL CRISIS. FIRING MUELLER WOULD BE A CRISIS TIMES TEN.” Further: “[f]iring Comey was obstruction of justice, pure and simple. But firing Mueller would be far worse—because the entire reason Mueller has this job is to protect the investigation from political interference. No one is above the law, especially not the President of the United States.”
MoveOn, Indivisible, and other groups are working in coalition to activate emergency rallies if Mueller is fired. Although we all hope it won’t happen, the threat is real enough to justify preparing an immediate, strong response.
What you can do now:
- Find and RSVP to attend a Nobody Is Above the Law rapid response rally near you if Mueller is fired (see partial list below);
- No local rally near you? Sign up to host one;
- Spread the word by sending the link to everyone who may be interested;
- Ask Congress to prevent Mueller from being fired. See Indivisible’s call script here;
- Read our earlier article, with more info and actions.
- Note that for any specific event, the timing may vary from the general MoveOn suggested timing (and all involve your local time), so please check the event you RSVP’ed for: if news of the firing occurs before 2 PM, the rally begins that day at 5 PM; if news occurs after 2 PM, the rally will begin the following day at noon.
- AND NEW! Also general guidelines from MoveOn, check your local event: because of the holidays, if Mueller is fired between December 23 and December 26, the rally will be held on December 27 at 5:00 PM. Any other firing date will be treated as above.
As MoveOn, the primary organizer behind the rapid response rallies, states: “This is our moment to stand up to protect our democracy. Let’s mobilize to show that we won’t let Donald Trump become the authoritarian that he aspires to be. The law applies to all of us, and it’s essential that it also applies to the most powerful people in our country. Our response in the minutes and hours following a power grab will dictate what happens next, and whether Congress—the only body with the constitutional power and obligation to rein Trump in from his rampage—will do anything to stand up to him.”
Please check this link for additional locations, and RSVP to receive updates.