John Oliver dubs it “Stupid Watergate,” but many believe that the lies and smear campaigns Trump and many Republicans are flinging to discredit the FBI and derail investigations by Special Counsel Robert Mueller and Congressional committees into Trump/Russia have already done more damage to our democracy than the GOP’s bungled break-in, attempted cover-up, and Saturday Night Massacre did back in 1973.
As Mueller’s investigation into collusion and obstruction of justice allegations closes in on the Current Occupant of the White House, fears of a constitutional crisis mount. Initially, the triggering event for a crisis was seen as Trump firing Mueller, mirroring Nixon’s orders to fire independent special prosecutor Archibald Cox. But in what is more like “Evil Watergate” the strategy has morphed into escalating assaults on the FBI, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, and others. The Current Occupant, several GOP toadies, and right-wing media are sowing chaos, pushing fake scandals, and besmirching reputations, in not-even-thinly veiled attempts to divert, curtail, or shut down the investigations.
Adjusting to the new (not)normal, MoveOn, Indivisible, and other groups have updated their original call for all of us to flood the streets if Trump fired Mueller. MoveOn and Indivisible list the “red lines” that, if crossed, should prompt emergency rallies:
- If Trump fires Mueller
- If Trump fires Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein (Rosenstein oversees Mueller)
- If Trump issues blanket pardons of witnesses or key figures being investigated
- If Trump takes another action that prevents the investigation from being conducted freely (such as repealing the regulations establishing the office)
Although we still hope none of this will happen, the threat is real enough to justify preparing an immediate, strong response.
What you can do now:
- Find and RSVP to attend a Nobody Is Above the Law rapid response rally near you
- No local rally? Sign up to host one
- Spread the word by sending the link to everyone who’d be interested
- Ask Congress to prevent Mueller from being fired. See Indivisible’s article with info and a great call script here, and see the Wall of Us action
- Read background info at our original article, and our updated article
- Read the Lawyers for Good Government 33-year timeline of Trump-Russia connections here