BREAKING: PROTESTS CALLED FOR THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 8, 5 PM LOCAL TIME, by the Nobody Is Above the Law network
Donald Trump has installed a crony to oversee the Special Counsel Trump-Russia investigation, crossing a red line set to protect the investigation. By replacing Rod Rosenstein with just-named Acting Attorney General Matt Whitaker as special counsel Robert Mueller’s boss on the investigation, Trump has undercut the independence of the investigation. Whitaker has publicly outlined strategies to stifle the investigation and cannot be allowed to remain in charge of it.
The Nobody Is Above the Law network and its coalition of partners has demanded that Whitaker immediately commit not to assume supervision of the investigation, and its hundreds of response events are being launched to demonstrate the public demand for action to correct this injustice. The NIAL demands are:
- Acting Attorney General Matt Whitaker has a profound conflict and must be removed from overseeing the Mueller investigation.
- Congress must exercise its Constitutional authority to hold the President accountable and pass legislation to protect the Mueller investigation.
- Any future Attorney General appointed by Trump must issue a public order giving Mueller full independence to complete the investigation without political interference.
What to do NOW:
- If you’ve signed up for a Nobody Is Above the Law rapid response rally, follow the directions emailed to you by the hosts.
- If not, find and RSVP to attend a Nobody Is Above the Law rapid response rally near you (900+ events)
- Read Indivisible National’s article for more info, and call your Members of Congress to tell them to publicly call for Matt Whitaker to recuse himself.
- Read our articles for historical background and to learn what actions we’ve been taking:
- September 24, 2018: A Rosenstein Red Line?
- August 22, 2018: Manfort. Cohen. Trump? Guilty, Guilty, Guilty!
- April 12, 2018 (updated May 1, 2018): Nobody is Above the Law
- Feb. 7, 2018: Destroying Democracy: Worse Than Watergate, More than Mueller
- Dec. 12, 2017: No One is Above The Law
- Nov. 3, 2017: No Saturday Night Massacre 2017
Some ways to prepare:
- Read the ACLU’s article Know Your Rights: Free Speech, Protests & Demonstrations
- Download the ACLU’s Mobile Justice app to record police activity and send it immediately to the ACLU affiliate nearest you. Get the California app, MobileJusticeCA
- Put the National Lawyers Guild hotline numbers into your phone, and write them on your arm in ink:
- to call from local jails ONLY: 415-285-1011
- outside of jail calls, call NLG hotline volunteers: 415-909-4NLG (4654)
- if no answer, send an email to the NLG Demonstrations Committee at email@example.com
- Get your go-bag together:
- charged cell phone and portable power if you have
- water bottle and energy bars or other portable food
- medications you may need
- layers of clothing to add if it gets cold
- a sign with your message
- If Trump fires Mueller or Rosenstein
- If Trump pardons key witnesses
- If Trump takes another action that prevents the investigation from being conducted freely, such as replacing Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, Mueller’s current supervisor or repealing the regulations establishing the office
- Additional red line added on Sept. 24: The Mueller investigation releases findings showing significant wrongdoing by Donald Trump. Or Congress or the administration blocks the public from seeing Mueller’s findings.