By Rebecca Dean
Deadline: now through August 31st
Thanks to growing community support and an incredible volunteer network (including all our amazing IEB folks), our own Janani Ramachandran made it to the runoff in the June 29th primary for the AD 18 State Assemblymember seat. She’ll advance to the general election on August 31st! Check out our earlier article about Janani here, and her candidate questionnaire here.
Over the past few months, Janani’s movement of progressive leaders and community members has grown – as has her commitment to a corporate-free campaign. Janani is not accepting any donations from large businesses. She’ll fight to improve access to health care, affordable housing, and a living wage. Throughout her campaign, she has prioritized local connections and community-building, drawing on her fight for justice as an attorney and social justice activist in Oakland.
We’re a few short weeks (6 to be exact) away from the August 31st run-off, and there are still thousands of potential Janani supporters to contact! Voter turnout for the primary was extremely low, and that needs to change – let’s show that local and state elections are important, too!
So how can you help? We’ve got both in-person events and virtual support opportunities available:
- Canvassing: this is the most effective way to reach voters – through one-on-one conversations! Even if you don’t live in District 18, your on-the-ground support is much needed.
- Tabling at the Grand Lake Farmer’s Market in Oakland every Saturday from 9:30am-12pm. Lots of folks come to this market, so it’s a great way for us to get the word out! Contact Rebecca at firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
- Phone-banking during the week: calling voters in Oakland. IEB folks are joining on Thursdays, 5PM-7PM!
- Post card writing! If you prefer to volunteer at your own pace from the comfort of your home, this one’s for you. You can pick up a stack of 25 postcards (or more!) from Liz Douglas’ house starting next week. Script and addresses will be provided, and we’ll provide stamps until we run out! If you’re interested in writing, please fill out this form. For more info on card pickup, contact Liz at email@example.com.
- Join Team Janani for our weekly planning meetings every Wednesday at 5pm. You can join the Zoom call here. Also, subscribe to our IEB Slack channel at #jananiforca for regular updates!
We hope to see everyone at an event very soon. Together, let’s make history and bring Team Janani to victory!
Rebecca Dean is a social worker and community advocate. After canvassing for progressive candidates in 2020, she has become more involved in state and local politics. Rebecca is passionate about immigration justice and civic engagement. She enjoys hiking, patio gardening, and cuddles with her cat.