Deadline: why not join us now? –
Levar, I’ll take “Political Activism” for $1000: “This zoom session was the most fun activist meeting of the season!” The answer, in the form of a question, is … Our July 25 All Members Meeting – did you miss it? You can still play – and get active – with us!
We opened with a rousing game of “Democracy is in Jeopardy!” It’s technically a team game, but we’re all on the same team – we are, after all, Indivisible! Get the game for free here. Next, we heard about Indivisible East Bay’s latest meeting with Senator Feinstein’s staff. They tell us our calls about the filibuster are coming through loud and clear, so let’s keep up the good work!
An expert gave us good news about the Biden administration’s federal judiciary appointments. Most of Biden’s picks have more than the ABA-recommended 12 years of courtroom experience. They come from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds – we’re seeing more women and men of color, immigrants, and children of immigrants – and they include public defenders, employee-side labor lawyers, immigration lawyers, and more. Quite the change from the last administration (in case you’ve blocked out details, see here, and here, and here, and here).
We moved into breakouts to take action on Democracy Defense and to learn how to get involved with Ramachandran’s campaign.
And those are just the highlights: check out our whole agenda.
Take Action! What you can do:
We worked on these actions at the All Members Meeting, and they’re still timely:
- Get involved with our National Democracy Reform Working Group work!
- Contact President Biden: Use this form to contact the President (and VP Harris, and your Senators) to support voting rights and end the filibuster. Are you part of any other groups? Ask them to sign on to this National letter to Biden. Share these links with others!
- Make some calls for HOT CALL SUMMER:
- Join us at the Democracy Can’t Wait week of action at in-person events on Sunday July 31 (tabling/flyering) and Monday August 2 (banner drop) – contact Nancy at email@example.com for more info.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Democracy Reform” or join the #wg-democracy-reform channel on Slack.
- Get involved with Janani Ramachandran’s campaign for CA Assembly District 18:
- Meet-up with Janani & IEB in Alameda on Weds. Aug. 4, 5:30-6:30 PM! Info here.
- Sign up to canvass here – canvassing is the best way to reach voters
- Table at the Grand Lake Farmers Market in Oakland on Saturdays from 9:30 AM to noon – contact Rebecca at email@example.com
- Sign up to phone bank here to voters in Oakland – IEB folks are attending the Thursday sessions
- Sign up here to write postcards
- Join Team Janani for our weekly Zoom planning meetings every Wednesday at 5 PM. Also, subscribe to our IEB Slack channel at #jananiforca for regular updates!
And don’t miss our next All Members Meeting on Sunday, August 29 at 1 PM. RSVP here. What’s on tap for future meetings? We’re always planning and we’d love to hear from you – what would you like to hear about, who would you like to hear speak, what kinds of actions would you like to take in a group setting? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “AMM Ideas.”