August 5, 2019 meeting with Representative Mark DeSaulnier and Indivisible East Bay’s CA-11 Team.
Present: Rep. Mark DeSaulnier and Shanelle Scales Preston, District Director for Rep. DeSaulnier
- Immigration (CBP/HHS/Flores Settlement)
- $4.6 billion in border aid without any accountability
- DeSaulnier: there were long caucuses on this – Problem Solvers Caucus wouldn’t support the above aid
- 45 plays to race – he is good at it
- This is about accountability
- Russians trying to disrupt politics – get people to be divisive
- Only accountability at this point is if judge finds e.g. Secretary of DHS in contempt
- Election Security
- Republicans are used to suppressing votes – it is part of their culture – “this is what we do in the South/Midwest.”
- Need an audit trail
- Social media is most alarming – they prime traditional media through social media
- What can Oversight Committee do:
- We have to stay in it
- Need to hold hearings and let the public know
- They are trying to build staff up on all committees – particularly with Oversight. Noted that budget for Congressional staff has been slashed since Gingrich was Speaker.
- Keep having hearings – asked us to let him know what ideas we have. Work with Indivisible National to share ideas with others
- Can members of congress model the right policies:
- Blue states can pilot – take pieces of HR1 and try it at the local level
- Rep. DeSaulnier: We can try it. Apply pressure strategically and make them know who is on their side – Groups like Indivisible should work in swing states to help message this
- We have to worry about CA too – he is worried about registrars here too – ex: Fresno
- How can Rep. DeSaulnier use his committee assignments to be impactful:
- Can do lots of little things to have great impact
- He wants help with the language with regards to all of our smaller recommendations that can lead to greater impact
- “There will be vehicles on Election Security because it is important.” (presumably referring to future legislation)
- Impeachment Inquiry
- Wanted his name on it, but feels that this is a choice of conscience
- Understands why Speaker Pelosi is concerned about it
- Democrats who are not behind it are worried it will be like Clinton
- Need to bring people along – Pelosi: “With public sentiment anything is possible”
- Should focus on 2020
- House Judiciary Committee Chair Nadler is pushing to get leverage from judges, Pelosi proceeding through action on multiple committees.
- White Supremacist Terrorism
- (Affected the tone of what we discussed but we didn’t explicitly get to it)
- FY20 Budget Negotiations
- Supplemental has gone in
- Will be assertive about how they spend the money
- Supplemental appropriations are bills enacted after the regular annual appropriations act to pay for situations too urgent to wait until the next year.
- Is there going to be a lawsuit?
- Multiple ones – mostly from ACLU but they lack infrastructure to deal with this corruption
- His staff will get more for us
- Progressive and Hispanic caucuses unified on various prohibitions asked for in Memo.
- Supplemental has gone in
If you want more info about the CA-11 Team, contact co-leads Ted and Kristen at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or if you’re on Slack, contact @Ted Lam or @KristenL and join the moc_team_ca11 team. Want an invite to join Slack? Please drop us a line at email@example.com
Meeting notes by IEB and CA-11 Team members Kristen, Toni and Ion
Photograph of Rep. DeSaulnier with Toni, Kristen, Janis, and Ion