By the Indivisible East Bay Voter Rights and Election Integrity team
Action deadline – ASAP!
Great news! Thanks to your help in making calls, two good California bills that Indivisible East Bay supported, AB 2188 (Social Media Disclose Act) and AB 3115 (Jails: Voter Education Program), passed out of committee and are scheduled to be voted on by the full state senate. Read our prior articles for more info and background, see list below.
- AB 2188: Deadline: August 30 – Ads on social media are not always what they seem and many of them have been doing some serious damage to our democratic process. Free speech should be public. Make everyone show their names and faces if they’re paying to change our minds. The vote for this bill will not be held until August 30.
- UPDATE Aug. 26, 2018: IT IS UNCLEAR WHAT OCCURRED WITH THIS BILL, BUT FOR NOW WE ARE NOT RECOMMENDING ANY ACTION. AB 3115: Deadline: ASAP – IEB supported AB 3115’s passage in the Assembly because it gives people with criminal convictions who still have the right to vote a chance to become participating citizens again.
Please call your California State Senator ASAP:
You can mention both bills during your call. What to say:
My name is ____. My zip code is ____ and I’m a member of Indivisible East Bay. I’m calling to ask the Senator to vote YES on two important voter bills. First, about AB 2188 – we shouldn’t be subject to political ads on social media like Facebook without knowing who paid for them. Free speech should be public and accountable.
UPDATE 8/26/18: DO NOT USE THIS PORTION OF THE SCRIPT: Second, about AB 3115 – we should do everything we can to reduce barriers to voter registration. Increasing voter education and voting access to thousands of people in California jails will improve civic participation and public safety, and it’s the right thing to do.
I strongly urge Senator ____ to vote yes on AB 2188 and AB 3115. Thank you.
- District 7, (Contra Costa) Senator Steve Glazer, (916) 651-4007
- District 9 (Alameda & Contra Costa), Senator Nancy Skinner, (916) 651-4009
- District 10 (Alameda & Santa Clara), Senator Bob Wieckowski, (916) 651-4010
- District 11 (San Francisco): Senator Scott Wiener, (415) 557-1300
- District 15 (San Jose area): Senator Jim Beall, (916) 651-4015
- Tell your friends in other districts to call their senators. Search here or see list at this link.
We’ve been busy – and so have you, making calls and following these important bills. Read our articles:
- AB 2188
- AB 3115
Graphic © California Clean Money Campaign